She turns 83 today, and yet Asha Bhonsle shows no signs of slowing down. She is a singer who has had to face many trials and tribulations to reach where she is today, and her strength and dedication is truly commendable. She has sung more than 12000 songs in her entire career and yet she refuses to retire and wants to continue working as she said on her last birthday. This birthday will be doubly special for Bhonsle as Ahalya-fame Radhika Apte will be performing a dance on the famous songs sung by the soulful singer today in Mumbai along with Terrence Lewis.
Also read: UN honours ‘queen of music’ MS Subbulakshmi with a stamp
Here are eight reasons to love Bhonsle more than you loved her before.
- The first reason has to be the beautiful songs she sang in her prime like Aaiye Meherban, Deewana Hua Badal, Isharon Isharon Mein, Aao Huzur Tumko, Ude Jab Jab Zulfein Teri, and many more with O.P Nayyar. Then she became the voice of Helen with songs like Piya Tu Ab To Aaja (Caravan), O Haseena Zulfon Wali (Teesri Manzil), and Yeh Mera Dil (Don). The list just does not end.
Happy Birthday Asha Bhonsle ji. Few know I too have sung in her voice in the film "Rafoo Chakkar"(1975) a rarity.
- In 2015, Bhonsle was picked by the BBC as one among the 100 Inspiring women from around the world. Only seven Indians were listed in that list.
- Apart from the elaborate singing career that she has, Bhonsle showed her acting skills also recently in 2013 in a movie called Mai. The fact that her performance was loved by critics became one more feather in her hat.
Also read: Dare to be: The challenging journey of singer Sonam Kalra
- The melody queen being younger to Lata Mangeshkar, the mega star, always had to face comparison and she says that she still does, but she went on to do her job unfazed. Reportedly, the two sister’s relationship savoured at one point in life and Bhonsle had to pick projects that were rejected by her big sister and many others in 1950s. Yet, she persisted on, with faith in herself.
- She was never the one to stick to a type or a genre and so the variety of songs that she has lent her voice to is incredible. From ghazals for movies like Umrao Jaan, to the sensous “Aaiye Meherban” or the peppy “Kambakth Ishq” or the romantic “Oh Mere Sona Re”, you name it and she has done it all. Versatility has been a hallmark of her career.
- You might think that Bhonsle only sang in Hindi, but you would be wrong. Other than Hindi she has sung in 20 different languages including both Indian and foreign. Her most notable collaborations have been with Boy George for the single ‘ Bow Down Mister’ in the mid-80s and a single with pop band Code Red called ‘We can make it if we try‘ in 1997. The latter happened when she was 64 years of age.
Also read: Remembering Marilyn Monroe, the subtle feminist of her time
- She has a mention in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the most recorded singer in the music history. What can you expect with 12000 songs to her credit?
- The well-known singer has also been honoured by the Government of India with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2000 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2008.
Feature Image Credit: Indian Express