DIG D Roopa receives President’s Medal for exposing Jail corruption
Karnataka government honoured DIG D Roopa with President’s Medal on Saturday for her courageous work in exposing irregularities in jail. Governor Vajubhai Vala gave her the award in at a ceremony at Raj Bhavan. And Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and Home Minister Ramalinga Reddy also came for the felicitation, TOI reported.
Roopa is the officer who recently exposed alleged irregularities at the central jail in Bengaluru pertaining to the VIP treatment of AIADMK chief Sasikala. This is not it, Roopa has been incessantly working towards maintain jail decorum and top notch reporting in her work of over a decade and a half now.
In 2016 also IPS D Roopa received the President’s Medal
Here are a few things you must know about this daring police officer:
- IPS Divakar Roopa Moudgil is famous for disclosing corrupt practices in jails. Even those involving her senior officials as she did in the Sasikala Case.
- In a report, she did not beat around the bushes and blowed whistle on Director General of Police (DGP) Mr. Satyanarayana Rao received Rs. 2 Crores from Sasikala to gain access to a personal kitchen and other amenities in the jail.
- The report led to transfer of Roopa as the Karnataka govt. cited conduct issues with her term as DIG. And she is currently working as the post of DIG, Commissioner for Traffic and Road Safety, Bengaluru.
- But the decision to honour her work and giving her the president’s medal came much before she submitted her report. This came as huge embarrassment to Karnataka government for awarding her work after giving her transfer for the same.
In her term of 17 years of work, Roopa has been transferred every year for working honestly.
- She grew up in Davangere, Karnataka and has a sister who is an Income Tax Commissioner. Both her parents were also government officials
- She cracked UPSC CSE in her very first attempt and got an All India rank of 43. Also, she became the first Kannadiga woman IPS officer ever in Karnataka.
- In her term of 17 years of work, Roopa has been transferred every year for working honestly. In fact she was the one who also arrested CM of Madhya Pradesh Uma Bharti. After which MP government obviously transferred her.
- This is the second time that Roopa got the President’s Medal. In 2016 the sharp shoot received the honor for her work in maintaining law and order.
- She married IAS Munish Moudgil who was initially an Odisha cadre officer but he is now a Karnataka cadre officer now.
Picture credit- DNA
Join Us on https://www.facebook.com/SheThePeoplePage
Follow Us on https://twitter.com/SheThePeopleTV