Child Care Leaves Cut To 30 Days Per Year For Govt Teachers In Haryana
Child Care Leaves have been cut to a maximum of 30 days per year for government teachers in Haryana. This has been done to ensure proper teaching schedule so that in no way, are the studies of children hampered, Times of India reported. In case a long leave has to be sanctioned to a teacher, the head of the institute has to ensure an alternative teacher for duty. Moreover, documents supporting the reason for leave need to be submitted in order to get the leaves sanctioned.
- Child Care Leaves have been cut to a maximum of 30 days per year for government teachers in Haryana. This is done to ensure proper teaching schedule.
- Across India, Child Care Leave is granted to the female employees for the purpose of caring for their minor child.
- However, the central pay commission found out that women employees treated the benefit like a Casual Leave and this resulted in frequent disruptions at work
- Aiming at prioritizing teaching, the education department in Haryana has hence reduced the number of leaves to 30 days per year.
The commission found that women employees exploited their child care leaves by going on leave even when not required. This resulted in frequent disruptions at work.
Women Employees Exploiting Their Child Care Leaves
Not only in Haryana, but even across the country, it has been found that women employees exploit their leaves, which results in frequent disruptions at work. This led to many modifications in the Child Care Leaves introduced in the 6th Central Pay Commission.
As per the rules before modification on 27th December 2019, women employees can avail leaves up to 730 days for child care, till the time their child turns 18. However, the commission found out that women employees took it casually and went on leave even when it wasn’t required. The facility is extended to single female employees for up to six times in a calendar year. For other female employees, however, the leave will not be granted for more than three times in a year.
Continuous Child Care Leaves Result In Disruptions At Work
The commission found that women employees exploited their child care leaves by going on leave even when not required. This resulted in frequent disruptions at work. Therefore, the commission has decided to deduct a part of employees’ salaries starting from the second year. When their child is born, leaves will be fully paid, that is, the leaves will be granted at 100 percent of the employees’ salary. However, the next year onwards, 20 percent of the salary will be deducted and the leave will be granted at 80 percent of the employees’ salary.
Child Care Leaves To Be Extended To Single Male Parents
Along with checking the leave system for female employees’, the commission has also recommended extending the facility to single male parents.
Child Care leave was introduced in the 6th Pay Commission. Since then, a number of changes have been made to the facility. The various recommendations for the facility till now are:
- Converting CCL to a “family care” leave
- Extending the leave for the care of a single male parent
- Extending the facility to mothers of differently-abled children above the age of 18 years
- Liberalizing the facility for single mothers
- Discontinuance of CCL as it disrupts the functioning of the office and promotes gender discrimination.
As a whole, government employees enjoy a total of 104 holidays in a year.