Chhattisgarh Women To Get Free Smartphones Under Govt Scheme
The Chhattisgarh government has launched the ‘Sanchar Kranti Yojana’ (SKY) under which 45 lakh women and five lakh college students will get smartphones equipped with information facilities. With the aim of ensuring each citizen gets the benefit of information technology and transparent and good governance, these smartphones will be distributed free of cost within a time period.
Features of the scheme
- Under the scheme, the distribution of smartphones will take place in two phases and just ahead of the assembly polls, slated by the year-end.
- In the first phase, from July 30 to August 16, smartphones will be distributed to beneficiaries in urban areas. Rural areas will be covered in the next phase from August 17 to September 22.
- Women belonging to poor families in rural and urban areas and college students will be provided smartphones along with 1GB data and 100 minutes of free calling per month.
- The phone will additionally have an app called ‘Goth’ (meaning talk in Chhattisgarhi dialect) to provide details about various public welfare programmes.
- The app will also provide useful information on various topics for women, farmers, children and youth. Schemes of agriculture, skill development, employment, education and self-help groups will also be conveyed through the programme.
- The beneficiaries will be able to watch programmes based on folk culture and family through this facility.
- According to NDTV, the app will provide contact details of Emergency Ambulance Service 108, Mahtari Express Service 102, toll-free number for PDS (public distribution system) and police helpline, among others.
Nimisha Is An Intern With SheThePeople.TV