1995 BBC Interview: Prince William issued a public statement calling the BBC for taking an interview with his mother Princess Diana in 1995 using deceitful methods.
Recently a report highlighted the malpractices of the journalist Martin Bashir by which he secured an interview with Princess Diana. The BBC network has then decided to publish a “full and unconditional apology”.
Prince William in his statement alleged that the unethical interview made the relationship between his parents worse and failed her mother.
It was during that interview when Princess Diana openly talked about her marriage with Prince Charles and shared details of her affairs. She also revealed the relationship shared between Prince Charles and his current wife Camilla during those days.
The 38-year-old William and son to the British monarchy’s heir Prince Charles said, “It is my view that the deceitful way the interview was obtained substantially influenced what my mother said. The interview was a major contribution to making my parents’ relationship worse and has since hurt countless others. ”
He further alleged, “It brings indescribable sadness to know that the BBC’s failures contributed significantly to her fear, paranoia and isolation that I remember from those final years with her.”
On the other hand, his brother Prince Harry also issued a statement without naming BBC. He talked about the “ripple effect of a culture of exploitation and unethical practices” in media and blamed it for her mother’s death.
He thanked the individuals and organisations for taking accountability for their actions. “This is the first step towards justice and truth,” he said.
He added, “Yet what deeply concerns me is that practices like these – and even worse – are still widespread today. Then, and now, it’s bigger than one outlet, one network, or one publication.”
Prince Harry who now lives in California with his wife, Meghan Markle, and children has talked at length about the predatory practices of British tabloids. He has even sued many for invading his and his family’s privacy. Harry had said that the current behaviour of the press towards his wife reminds him of the similar treatment his mother used to get.
Prince William in his statement called Martin Bashir a “rogue reporter” and criticised BBC for not taking appropriate action against him.
He said, “These failings, identified by investigative journalists, not only let my mother down, and my family down; they let the public down too.”
According to a report published on Thursday, BBC did conduct an investigation on Martin Bashir in 1996 but the retired senior judge John Dyson, who saw through the recent investigation which started in November last year, called it “flawed and woefully ineffective”.
Tony Hall who had been involved in the 1996 investigation at BBC said that he was wrong to give Bashir the benefit of the doubt and that the investigation “fell well short”.
How did Martin Bashir get Princess Diana to give interview?
According to the investigation reports published recently, Martin Bashir tricked Diana’s brother Charles Spencer into introducing him to Diana.
He showed Spencer a fake bank statement to claim that the security services have been bugged in Diana’s residence and that her two senior aides were being paid to give details about her.
Bashir then reportedly lied to his seniors at BBC after the interview was aired and didn’t reveal the real way in which he got the interview.
Martin Bashir has apologised for showing fake bank statements to Spencer but stands by his statement that the bank statements didn’t prompt Diana to give the interview.