Anshula Kant Appointed New SBI MD; Who Is She?
State Bank of India on Friday appointed Anshula Kant as the bank’s new Managing Director. The bank said Kant will serve as the MD till she attains the age of superannuation on September 30, 2020, or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
With her appointment, the India’s giant public sector bank has a total four MDs. The others are PK Gupta, DK Khara and Arijit Basu
“The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved the appointment of Kant as the Managing Director (MD), SBI, till the date of her superannuation i.e. September 30, 2020,” an order from the Personnel Ministry said.
Here’s few things to know about the new appointee:
- Prior to this appointment, Kant was serving as the bank’s Deputy Managing Director and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) since May 2014 and June 2015.
- Her name was recommended by the Bank Boards Bureau for the post.
- She took over the seat that was vacated by SBI MD B Sriram. He resigned from the SBI MD post on June 30, days after he was appointed by the IDBI Bank.
- Anshula Kant, a graduate in Economic Honours, joined SBI as a probationary officer in 1983.
“When my father said that if I was to do engineering I would have to study in Roorkee, I decided against it and got admitted to Lady Shri Ram College to study economics,” says Kant, Economic Times reported.
- Her expertise lies in retail banking, corporate credit, cross-border trade and banking in developed markets – both retail and wholesale, her biography on SBI’s website said.
“I was a free bird at work,” says Kant. “My in-laws supported me so much that I never had to worry about my two children. They literally grew up with them.”
- Kant has also served as Chief General Manager of Mumbai SBI and was Deputy MD of Operations for National Banking Group.
- She has also been Shareholder Director at National Stock Exchange of India.
Feature Image Credit: The Financial Express