Google Doodle celebrates legendary Indian actress Nutan
Google Doodle celebrates the 81st birthday of the legendary actress of 70s, Nutan! It depicts four distinct expressions.
She is regarded as one of the finest film actresses of Hindi Cinema who appeared in more than 70 Hindi movies. She holds a record of best actress five times in the Filmfare awards.
Things to know:
- Nutan hails from a Marathi family and started her career as an actress in the movie Hamari Beti in 1950. The movie was directed by her mom Shobhana Samarth. She played the role of a fourteen year old girl.
- She was also crowned as Miss India in 1952.
- She hails from the family of film makers and actors. She was the daughter of film actress Shobhana Samarth and film maker Kumarsen Samarth. Her younger sister is Tanuja while Kajol is her niece.
- Nutan’s big break was Seema for which she received her first Filmfare award for the best actress.
- She is known for playing unconventional roles in the movies. She gained success after doing a romantic comedy movie Paying Guest in which she co-starred with Dev Anand.
- She was the face of several blockbusters in her career. Bandini, Anari, Sraswatichandra, Main tulsi tere angan ki are some of her biggest blockbusters.
- She was married to naval Lieutenant-Commander Rajnish Behl in the year 1959 and they had their only child Mohnish, who is an actor.
- Her last movie till the time she was alive was Kanoon Apna Apna which got released in the year 1989. Though it is also said that her two movies Naseebwala (1992) and Insaniyat (1994) were released after her death.
- She received Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian award in the year 1974.
- Meri Jung in 1985 brought many accolades for her and earned her sixth and the last Filmafare award, this time in the best supporting actress category.
- In 2013, Forbes India, regarded Nutan’s performance as “the best acting by a lead actress in Indian cinema.”
- She died of cancer in the year 1991.