The University of Sydney was named as a ‘gold employer’ at the Australian LGBTQ Awards. The awards recognise top organisations in Australia for LGBTQ+ inclusion based on the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI).
The University of Sydney was a finalist for Employer of the Year at the 2021 Australian LGBTQ Inclusion Awards and were awarded the Gold Accreditation. The University is now counted as one of the most inclusive employers in Australia for the LGBTQ+ community.
The Australian LGBTQ Inclusion Awards is an annual event that recognises the efforts of organisations to be inclusive towards the LGBTQ+ community. It is based on the results of the AWEI survey that looks at the inclusion of LGBTQ+ people.
The organisations that are in the top ten per cent of the survey are given the Gold Accreditation. They provide evidence that displays they are actively working towards LGBTQ+ inclusion. Organisations are given a score out of 200, the previous year, the University of Sydney scored 132 points and this year the University scored 192 points.
The University of Sydney Vice-Chancellor Stephen Garton said “This is a phenomenal result and reflects the efforts of so many colleagues to make our workplace even more inclusive within a challenging environment.”
The University has the following LGBTQ+ community inclusion initiatives and activities:
- Initiatives that support LGBTQ+ students such as the ‘OUT for Now’ series, a website for students seeking an online community of LGBTQ+ students.
- Education initiatives and development of online training modules for new staff members of the University.
- Promoting inclusive language guidelines across the University.
- LGBTQ+ inclusive updates to recruitment, leave policies, procedures, and parental leaves.
- Community events such as Mardi Gras are supported by the University.
- The University has events that explore themes of intersectionality and intersex awareness.
A network supporting LGBTQ+ members called the Pride Network has played a part in increasing LGBTQ+ inclusion in the University. The Pride Network led by Dr Matt Pye and Christie Adamson created the ‘OUT for Now’ website for students.