Watch Mimi online: After appearing in over a dozen films since her debut in 2014, Kriti Sanon finally has a women-centric film under her belt, with the release of Mimi. The highly anticipated film has released on July 26 in India, four days before its scheduled release date. Starring Kriti Sanon and Pankaj Tripathi, the Laxman Utekar-directorial is about a woman whose journey as a surrogate takes an unexpected turn.
Set for an OTT release on July 30, netizens were evidently taken by surprise when Mimi saw an early release, a day before Sanon’s birthday on July 27.
Here’s all you need to know before watching the movie on surrogacy:
- The film is based on the 2010 Marathi movie Mala Aai Vahhaychy!. It featured Samruddhi Porey, Urmila Kanitkar, Sulabha Deshpande and Stacy Bee in pivotal roles. The original film also won a National Award for Best Feature Film in Marathi in 2011. The film dealt with the subject of surrogacy gone wrong.
- In Mimi, Sanon plays the role of a dancer who agrees to be a surrogate mother to a foreigner couple.
- The couple, however, later decides not to go ahead with the pregnancy and asks Mimi to abort the baby. The rest of the film deals with the impact of the couple’s decision on Mimi’s life and those around her.
- Apart from Sanon and Tripathi, the film also stars veteran actor Supriya Pathak, Manoj Pahwa and Sai Tamhankar in pivotal roles.
- Sanon had recently shared a video on Instagram, in which she talked about her experience of working with such seasoned actors for the project. Speaking of Pathak, who plays the role of Mimi’s mom in the film, the actor said that Mimi’s mother is someone who keeps taunting her. She is a very “mummy-mummy”. Sanon claimed the way Pathak did that character, she completely flipped it. “There are so many things about her that are like my mother. So, I actually was seeing my mom in her,” she noted. Speaking of Manoj Pahwa, who stars as Mimi’s dad, Sanon added that Mimi’s father is like her support. Sanon said she loves that Mimi is more attached to her father. In the video, she also talked about Sai Tamhankar, who plays Mimi’s friend in the film.
- The film’s music has been composed by AR Rahman and Anuj Rakesh Dhawan has helmed the cinematography.
- Mimi marks the second collaboration between Laxman Utekar and Sanon after Luka Chuppi. This is the fifth collaboration between Kriti Sanon and Pankaj Tripathi after previously working in films like Arjun Patiala, Luka Chuppi, Dilwale and Bareilly Ki Barfi. She jokingly said that she should just take him in her family now.
Where to watch Mimi?
Mimi is now available for streaming on Netflix and Jio cinema. Any viewer with a valid subscription of the said OTT platforms can now stream it.
Check out the trailer of Mimi here:
Feature Image Credit: YouTube Screenshot