Who Is Jai Bharathi? She is an architect and an avid biker who is on a mission to encourage more women to learn driving, be self reliant and use this skill to increase their chances of getting employed and earn a livelihood. She has been riding across 20 cities on her bike.
Here’s all you need to know about Jai Bharathi and her initiative
- She is the founder of MOWO Foundation (Moving Women Social Initiatives Foundation) in Hyderabad.
- Since then, she has trained 1,500 women from her city’s self-help groups and Government Degree College in riding bikes and autos. A lot of them have utilised these skills to gain employment.
- She is a close friend of Srishti Bakshi who made headlines for walking from Kanyakumari to Kashmir to raise awareness about violence on women.
- He ride began in Hyderabad and then she rose to Chennai, Kochi, Udupi, Goa. She is currently in Mumbai and will cover Surat, Ahmedabad, Udaipur, Jaipur, Amritsar, Srinagar, Chandigarh, New Delhi, Lucknow, Allahabad, Patna, Guwahati, Kolkata, Ranchi, and Bhubaneshwar.
- Her journey spans 11,111 kilometres.
- According to her, if women’s mobility becomes the norm, they will become self sufficient as they will be able to drive to work, drop their children to school. They can also start earning a livelihood by driving cabs or delivering packages.
- She also feels that more women will feel safe when they take to the roads and are self-dependent.
- She is active on Instagram and keeps posting photos and videos from her campaigns. She has 3251 followers on Instagram.
- Talking about how people around her perceive a female biker, she said, “Once I wear my gear, people cannot make out if it’s a biker or a ‘bikerni’” adding that it gives her a lot of confidence that if she can handle a 150kg bike, she can fight any odds in life.
- “Award winning Motorcyclist | Traveller |Author
100000+ kms on motorcycles | 7 countries”, reads her Instagram bio.