An activist, a feminist, and an artist, Frida Kahlo has inspired generations of women to think independently. He art, her wisdom and her personality have made women sit up and take inspiration to do much more with their careers and life. Even though she passed away more than a century ago, she continues to fire up history of the world’s feminist movement. Her pain, suffering and comments encouraged many women to rethink how they approach life against all odd. Her journey was bridled with intense pain, but also tremendous creativity.
As a child, Kalho became disabled with Polio and later she had a terrible accident at 18 that led to many prolonged problems. She fell in love with Diego Rivera, who was one of Mexico’s most successful artists of her time, also considered a vagabond. Despite the despair, Kahlo found strength in her pain and became the inspiration for her writings, and paintings.
The legendary artist is an icon and to young girls even today. Kahlo was bold, fierce and kind. Frida Kahlo quotes fill us with conviction, inspiration and belief in wanting to do more with our lives, despite despair and anguish. Kahlo’s interminable spirit is captured through her quotes and believes which are very relevant to each of one us.
- “I am my own muse, I am the subject I know best. The subject I want to know better.” – Frida Kahlo
- “I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.” – Frida Kahlo
- “Nothing is absolute. Everything changes, everything moves, everything revolves, everything flies and goes away.” – Frida Kahlo
- “They thought I was a Surrealist, but I wasn’t. I never painted dreams. I painted my own reality.” – Frida Kahlo
- “I used to think I was the strangest person in the world but then I thought there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me, too.Well, I hope that if you are out there and read this and know that, yes, it’s true I’m here, and I’m just as strange as you.” – Frida Kahlo
- “I want to be inside your darkest everything.” – Frida Kahlo
- “Why do I need feet when I have wings to fly?”― Frida Kahlo
- “It is terrifying to see the rich having parties day and night while thousands and thousands of people are dying of hunger.”- Frida Kahlo
- “I drank to drown my sorrows, but the damned things learned how to swim.” – Frida Kahlo
- “This upper class is disgusting and I’m furious at all these rich people here, having seen thousands of people in abject squalor.” – Frida Kahlo
Frida Kahlo’s quotes were as evocative as her paintings. She remained strong and feisty till her death in 1964.