Sneha Dubey UN Speech: An IFS officer of 2012 batch is making headlines in India for her strong response to Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan on the issue of Kashmir and terrorism. The young woman in question, Sneha Dubey is India’s first secretary at the United Nations. During the UN General Assembly held on Friday, Dubey responded to Khan’s statement on the abrogation of Section 370 in India, which scrapped Jammu & Kashmir’s special status.
Ever since a clip of Dubey’s speech was shared, social media has been praising her powerful speech and strong words against Khan. #SnehaDubey has been trending in India since the morning of September 25. So what exactly is so special about Dubey’s recent UN speech?
Here are 10 things you need to know:
1. During the 76th UNGA, Khan had spoken on the issue of Kashmir and the controversial death of former Sopore MLA, separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani earlier this month.
2. Dubey exercised India’s right of reply, calling Khan’s speech one more attempt by the leader of Pakistan to tarnish the image of this august forum by bringing in matters internal to India. She also accused Khan of spewing falsehoods on the world stage.
3. In her speech, Dubey said, “This is the country which is an arsonist disguising itself as a fire-fighter.” She went on to accuse Pakistan of sheltering terrorists in their backyard in the hope that they will only harm their neighbours.
4. “Our region, and in fact the entire world, has suffered because of their policies,” Dubey further said, adding, “On the other hand, they are trying to cover up sectarian violence in their country as acts of terror.”
5. She also added that “The entire Union Territories of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh were, are and will always be an integral and inalienable part of India.”
6. Dubey also called upon Pakistan to immediately vacate all areas under its illegal occupation.
7. Further addressing Khan’s speech, Dubey said that such statements deserve everyone’s collective contempt and sympathy for the mindset of the person who utters falsehood repeatedly.
8. Sneha Dubey got selected in the civil services examination in 2011. She managed to clear the exam in her first attempt.
9. According to her, becoming an Indian Foreign Services officer has given her the best opportunity to represent the country.
10. She is the first person in her family to join government services. She completed her schooling from Goa and went to Pune’s Fergusson College for higher education. She has also done Masters in Philosophy from School of International Studies of Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi.
After being selected in the foreign services, Dubey was appointed in the Ministry of External Affairs. She served at the Indian Embassy in Madrid in 2014.
Watch Trending Video Now: