Pune Gangrape Case: A 14-year-old girl, who was travelling to meet a friend, was allegedly abducted from outside the railway station in Pune city and gangraped at multiple locations. As many as eight arrests were made initially by the police. Out of these, five are auto-rickshaw drivers and two men are railway workers. The incident came to light when the girl’s family filed a missing complaint.
As per the latest update in the case, the police arrested six more persons on Tuesday. Now there have been total 14 arrests in the case.
#UPDATE | Six more accused have been arrested by police in alleged abduction & gangrape of a 14-year-old girl in Pune. A court has sent them to custody for 9 days. A total of 14 accused have been arrested so far: Pune City Police
— ANI (@ANI) September 7, 2021
The police was hunting for other suspects in connection with the case after arresting eight people. Meanwhile the survivor, who was traced by the police over five days after she went missing, is being treated at a hospital.
Here are 10 things to know about the Pune gangrape case that has raised concerns over safety of girls and women in the city:
1. The teenager had left her home for Pune station on August 31. She intended to travel in order to meet a friend.
2. According to the police, an auto driver, one of the arrested accused, told her that the train she intended to catch was not scheduled till the next day.
3. The driver then took the 14-year-old to another area on pretext of helping her to find a place to stay. He then went on to call his accomplices.
4. The auto driver then took her to several secluded spots, including one on the premise of city’s railway office, where she was allegedly gangraped multiple times.
5. The accused reportedly also threatened the girl with harming her and her family during the assault.
6. Her family filed a missing complaint with the police on September 1, following which the police registered an abduction complaint, as it was case of a minor girl.
7. Meanwhile the girl was traced by the police on September 5. There is no clarity as of yet about when did her perpetrators release her and where did she go after that.
8. The two railways employee allegedly involved in the case have been suspendedÂ by their department.
9. The survivor has been hospitalised for mental and physical trauma that she incurred due to the incident.
10. As per the police, the survivor and her family is being provided all possible assistance, including counselling.