The Saki Naka rape case involving a 32-year-old woman found unconscious in Mumbai’s Andheri area, surrounded by blood, has sent shockwaves for its brutal nature. She was allegedly raped, with a rod inserted in her private parts, reports said. The survivor’s condition is currently critical, as per police, and a probe in the sexual assault case is underway.
One accused, identified as 45-year-old Mohan Chouhan, was arrested within a few hours of the information about the crime reaching police, as per PTI. He has been charged under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), including attempt to murder.
The woman was rushed to a Ghatkopar hospital where doctors reportedly confirmed the insertion of external objects. She is “extremely critical,” cops have said. More on the case here.
Mumbai: Man arrested for the alleged rape of a 30-year-old woman, case registered. The woman was found lying unconscious at Khairani Road in the Saki Naka area last night. She is currently under treatment at a city hospital: Police
— ANI (@ANI) September 10, 2021
Saki Naka Rape Case: 5 Things To Know About The Brutal Incident
1. A woman in her thirties was allegedly raped and her genitals mutilated in Mumbai’s Andheri area. She was found unconscious in a pool of blood, as per reports, at Saki Naka. According to police, they received a call informing them about the woman around 3:30 AM Friday.
2. After they reached the spot, police rushed her to a civic hospital in Ghatkopar where doctors reportedly confirmed insertions of an external object in her genitals.
3. As per a PTI report, a preliminary probe suggested the woman was allegedly raped inside a stationary tempo at the spot she was found. The vehicle contained bloodstains. According to Hindustan Times, the deputy commissioner of police said there was an injured man near where the woman was found as well.
4. CCTV footage from the area was used in arresting Chouhan, the accused. He was booked under IPC sections 307, 376, 323. Police are investigating whether other persons were involved in the alleged rape incident or not.
5. Several online have likened the Saki Naka rape case to the Nirbhaya gangrape, in which a 23-year-old woman was similarly brutalised with a rod pushed inside her in Delhi in 2012.