A woman from Telangana died in the lockup after allegedly being beaten up by a Sub Inspector (SI) and two constables of the Addagudur Police Station on Friday. Disciplinary action has been initiated against the accused, according to reports.
In Telangana’s Yadadri-Bhuvanagiri district, a 40-year-old woman named Mariyamma was working as the house help in the local church priest Father Balaswamy’s house in Govindapuram village.
Father Balaswamy filed a complaint on June 15 in the Addagudur police station alleging that two lakh rupees have been stolen from their house. Mariyamma was accused of theft and was arrested on June 17.
Here’s all we know about the case:
- Congress Scheduled Caste Cell state president, Nagarigari Preetham claimed that Mariyamma was arrested from her village Khammam district. Preetham added that Mariyamma was subjected to physical abuse during the interrogation for the theft.
- Preetham said, “The police tortured her on June 17 night and on the next day (June 18), owing to the beatings she fell unconscious and died in the police station itself.”
- Further, Nagarigari Preetham also alleged that the police has tried to cover up the death of Mariyamma in their lockup. A thorough investigation has been requested by the Congress SC cell chief.
- On the other hand, the police of the Addagudur police station has given a statement to a local newspaper that the woman died from a cardiac arrest.
- B Narayana Reddy who is the DCP of the Bhuvanagiri area said, “The woman was declared brought dead at the hospital, an internal inquiry has been initiated into the allegations after attaching the concerned officers to the DCP office.” The investigation is now awaiting the post-mortem report based on which the next action will be taken.
- According to reports, the son Uday Kiran of the deceased woman was also allegedly beaten up by the police too. Congress leader Mallu Bhatti Vikramarka met the son in the hospital.