Tamil Nadu harassment case teacher arrested: In a shocking case a 38-year-old Science teacher was arrested in connection with the sexual harassment of a minor student. The accused, identified as A Habeeb Mohammed, was nabbed based on a complaint filed by a class nine student.
The accused was employed by the school and had allegedly taken mobile numbers from the students under the pretext of coaching them. The complainant stated that her Science teacher would then call them up and talk inappropriately. He even asked students to come to his home for special classes. The audio clip of the teacher speaking to a schoolgirl went viral.
*Trigger warning: This article contains details of physical abuse, harassment.
Here are ten things to know about the case Tamil Nadu student harassment case:
1. Mudhukulathur Police have stated that the student who lodged the complaint studies in class nine and goes to the same school the accused is employed at.
2. The 38-year-old Science teacher was arrested following a news report circulated about his telephonic conversation with the girl student that went viral.
3. In the audio clips of the purported conversation, the man can be heard making sexually inappropriate remarks with her and inviting her to his house without her parent’s knowledge. He is also heard naming and making obscene comments about several other girls studying at the same school. Further, the news report alleged that he had tried to coerce the child into sexual activity in exchange for better marks, the New Indian Express reported.
4. The said clip of the Science teacher speaking to a schoolgirl and forcing her to come to his home, stating that many students have done so before, went viral on social media. Subsequently, it sparked outrage, leading the parents of the child to file an official complaint in the police station.
5. While filing the harassment complaint, the girl revealed to police that if anyone refused, the teacher would threaten to lower their scores or fail them. Read more on the case here.
6. Based on the news report, an all-women police team, Kamuthi, arrested the accused teacher of a reputed school for sexual assault. He was remanded in judicial custody.
7. He was arrested under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act on charges of sexually harassing a minor student.
8. The investigating team stated during the preliminary investigation it was found that the teacher had sent obscene messages to the student on June 18 and indulged in a provocative telephonic conversation with her the next day.
9. Meanwhile, the Tamil Nadu government has announced guidelines, including an advisory panel, dress code and safety audit for schools, to prevent cases of sexual violence for its students.
10. The Ramanathapuram district police have urged other students who may have faced sexual harassment from the teacher to come forward and share details, the New Indian Express reported.