Rajasthan school rape: A 31-year-old school teacher was arrested on Thursday evening, on the charges of raping a class 7 student in Rajasthan’s Jhunjhunu district, earlier this month. The 11-year-old girl was threatened by the teacher to not tell anyone about it. For nine days since the incident, she had not, until she found a child helpline number in a textbook, and called it.
Here’s what you need to know about the case:
- The survivor is a class seven student of a government school in Rajasthan’s Jhunjhunu district.
- In her statement, she said that the accused, her principal, told her to stay back on October 5 after school ended and sexually assaulted her after all the students had left. More on the case here.
- The survivor found a child helpline number in a school textbook and mustered the courage to give them a call.
- Bhajana Ram, the station house officer (SHO) of Singhana police station, stated that the girl narrated the entire incident to the Child Welfare Committee. They then reached out to the girl and approached the district superintendent of police, who took immediate action.
- The girl alleged the principal had threatened her to not report anything that happened. She said he had been sending her obscene messages and photos, but made sure to delete them after the rape.
- A team of officers was sent to the teacher’s home in Alwar and arrested him on Thursday evening.
- According to the girl, she had approached the teachers about the matter but was allegedly told to not bring up any complaints.
- As per the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), Rajasthan currently leads the tally of rape crimes in the data of 2020, with 5310 rape cases reported in the year.
Suggested Reading :
We request you to support our award-winning journalism by making a financial contribution towards our efforts. Your funds will ensure we can continue to bring you amazing stories of women, and the impact they are making and spotlight half the country's population because they deserve it.