Rahul Gandhi is now officially the President of the Congress Party. The 47 year old, grandson of the first female prime minister of India, Indira Gandhi, is expected to lead the party during the 2019 Lok Sabha elections. Here are eight times the Gandhi scion stood up for women:
Women are the backbone of this country and women need to be empowered and I felt that price rise is an issue cylinders were a big issue - Rahul Gandhi on women empowerment
- "What Rahul Gandhi wants to do is ">empower the women in this country, wants to unleash the power of these women, I mean we talk about being a superpower..."
- "It needs to give ">women democratic powers, it needs to give youngsters democratic powers. It is about opening the doors of the congress party, about empowering the youth" .
- "Women are the backbone of this country and women need to be empowered and I felt that price rise is an issue cylinders were a big issue, I went to Kerala and I got a sense that women were concerned about that.” on rising prices of LPG cylinders, in 2014.
- "Inka (BJP) main sangathan RSS hai. Kitni mahila hain usme, kabhi shaakha mein mahilaon ko dekha hai shorts mein? Maine to nahi dekha," Rahul at a meeting in Akota in Gujarat.
- "It is their idea that as long as women remain silent, they are good. The moment a woman opens her mouth, they want to shut her up.” During campaign in Gujarat.
- "If you see education statistics for girls, Gujarat does not feature in the top 10" In Vadodara, during an interaction with university students.
- "It is in Congress' nature to strengthen women, and we will do it in the sector of girl’s education.” In the interaction with students at Vadodara University.
- “Why do two most important cities, Ahmedabad and Surat, rank among the top 10 cities for crimes against women,” said in New Delhi, on 3rd December.
Dr Yamini Pustake Bhalerao is a writer with the SheThePeople team, in the Opinions section. The views expressed are author’s own.