PM Narendra Modi’s janata curfew speech talked of resolve and restrain in times of Coronavirus. He said, it was time to clampdown outings and spend time indoors in every effort to save ourselves and others from the novel coronavirus #COVID19. He further added India would be on a day long curfew called the janata curfew on Sunday, Mar 22.
Modi appealed for calm and composure with citizens voluntarily leading the way. Putting the onus on people Modi said,
- Every India should be vigilant. Avoid stepping out of your homes until it is absolutely essential.
- Those over the age of 60 should remain inside their homes only.
- All must observe Janta Curfew on Sunday, 22nd March 2020 from 7 AM to 9 PM and stay indoors
- At 5 PM on 22nd March 2020, the day of the Janta Curfew, Modi appealed to people to applaud efforts from your homes and balconies to express gratitude to those working round the clock to keep India healthy (such as doctors, nurses and police)
- Avoid going to hospitals for routine check-ups. If there are surgeries that can be postponed, kindly do so.
- Formation of COVID-19 Economic Response Task Force under the leadership of the Finance Minister
- Do not cut the wages of those working in your homes, support staff and drivers, gardeners.
- Do not indulge in panic buying. India has enough food and ration supplies.
- Stay away from rumours.
This is the first time in Indian history that a janata curfew has been imposed in a way it puts the responsibility on the citizens to show resolve and restrain.