A 19-year-old girl, Janhvi Kukreja, was allegedly killed at her friend’s place in Mumbai on New Year’s Eve. The police have arrested two people for the alleged murder. A Deputy Commissioner of police, S Chaitanya said, “Prima facie, the incident seems to be a homicide. The two accused and a few others are being interrogated.”
As per the autopsy report, skull fracture is the cause of her death. The report revealed the deceased was brutally beaten approximately around 2.30am. Her body showed injury marks on hip and thighs. “These injuries indicate that Kukreja was badly beaten with an intention of killing her,” said an officer from Khar police station in Mumbai. As per reports it was around 6am that the murder was discovered.
Here’s what we know about the case so far:
- The incident took place in a building named Bhagwati Heights situated in Khar, Mumbai.
- According to the police, there were nine other people present at the party apart from the Janhvi Kukreja.
- Janhvi reportedly encountered her boyfriend and a friend in a compromising state at the building’s rooftop. As she confronted the two, the accused persons started assaulting Janhvi.
- The police report says that the deceased was pushed from the staircase of the building. The police also found strands of Janhvi’s hair and marks on her body that confirm assault before her death.
- The DCP said that the murder was committed in a “fit of rage” by the victim’s 24-year-old boyfriend and her friend.
- Both the accused persons have reportedly been charged with Indian Penal Code’s sections 302, for committing murder and section 34 for a criminal act with common intention.
- The victim’s mother told ANI that Janhvi Kukreja was a psychology student at Jai Hind College.
- She also said that the incident took place at 1:40 am on Thursday and she was only informed about it at 5 am. Parents of another person present at the party informed the victim’s family as Kukreja’s mother said that most people had fled the crime scene.
- After taking the fall, Janvhi Kukreja was taken to Baba hospital and she had died before her parents could reach the hospital.
- The victim’s mother said that her daughter’s life could have been saved had anyone informed her about the incident. She also claims that Janhvi’s friends had convinced her to attend the party at the last minute and she was supposed to come back home after 30 minutes.
Also read: 10 Things To Know About Kolkata Hotel Room Murder Case, Whose Suspect Is Yet To Be Nabbed