Dombivli Gangrape Case: The recent case of a 15-year-old being gangraped, on multiple occasions by 29 people in Mumbai has horrified everyone in the city and beyond. The report comes on the heels of the Saki Naka case.
The main accused, the girl’s then boyfriend, had allegedly raped her back in January and had shot a video of the gruesome act, which was then used by the others to blackmail the survivor. The other accused, the boyfriend’s friends and acquaintances, then raped her on multiple occasions on the same pretext. In speedy arrests, 24 people have been arrested.
Here are 10 Things to know about the Dombivli Gangrape Case:
- Of the 29 accused, 24 have been arrested, two boys, who are minors have been detained. The police are on the lookout for the other three accused.
- The incident started in January.
- The other accused also used the video to rape the survivor on multiple occasions in many places apart from Dombivali, such as Badlapur, Rabale and Murbad.
- The survivor approached the police on Wednesday after which a case of gangrape was registered.
- All the accused have been booked under rape under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code and under POSCO (Protection of children from sexual offences) Act.
- Various political groups have crowded the Manpada Police Station demanding strict action and severe punishment for all the accused.
- Vidya Chavan, an NCP MLC stated that they should be punished irrespective of their political inclinations.
- Chavan said that while the police have arrested the accused within 2 to 3 hours, showing promptness, women are angry due to such incidents coming to light repeatedly.
- The girl is currently undergoing treatment at a government hospital in Kalwa.
- Earlier in Mumbai’s Saki Naka area a rape case came to light where a 34-year-old woman was brutalised with a rod. She was taken to a hospital but succumbed to her internal injuries.
Suggested Reading :