A 20-year-old woman was allegedly burnt alive by three men for resisting harassment in Bihar. The accused men reportedly doused her with kerosene and then set her on fire after resisted their molestation bid. The relatives of the woman rushed her to the hospital but unfortunately, she succumbed to her injuries after 15 days of treatment.
Also Read: 10 Things To Know About Kanpur Gangrape Case
Here are ten things you need to know about the case:
- The incident took place 15 days ago in a village that comes under Chandpura OP police station of the Vaishali district in Bihar.
- The relatives of the survivor admitted her to the PMCH hospital, however, the woman succumbed to her injuries after 15 days of treatment
- The police were reportedly informed about the incident immediately, they went to the hospital to record her statement, but didn’t file an FIR.
- Four days after the incident when the video of the girl’s statement went viral, the police filed an FIR. “Satish Rai and Chandan Rai started misbehaving with me and then poured kerosene on my body and set me on fir,” said the woman in her statement, reports The Quint.
- According to the relatives of the deceased woman, the prime accused in the case reportedly teased the survivor often. One day the woman complained about his behaviour to his family members. The accused then reportedly harrased the survivor along with two other people. He then set her on fire when she resisted the act.
- Vaishali SP Maneesh told TOI, “ The girl alleged that Chandan, his father Vijay Kumar and Chandan’s cousin Satish Kumar poured kerosene and burned her when she resisted their molestation bid. She also alleged that they used to molest her in the past too.”
- Even 15 days after the incident, no arrest was made by the police.
- However recently the police have arrested one Chandan Kumar, who according to the woman’s statement is the main culprit.
- The police have been accused of trying to hush up the case due to the state assembly elections.
- Congress leader Rahul Gandhi in a tweet targeted the delay in investigation, writing, “Whose crime was more dangerous — One who committed this inhuman act or one who hid it for advantage in election for laying foundation of ‘ fake good governance’ over bad- governance.”
किसका अपराध ज़्यादा ख़तरनाक है-
जिसने ये अमानवीय कर्म किया?
जिसने चुनावी फ़ायदे के लिए इसे छुपाया ताकि इस कुशासन पर अपने झूठे 'सुशासन' की नींव रख सके? pic.twitter.com/VDIeL19F3Q
— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) November 17, 2020
Picture Credits: VK Singh and Company
Arunima Sharma is an intern with SheThePeople.TV.