Zoe Saldana Rues How Few Women Work On Film Sets
When Zoe Saldana walked the red carpet at the 74th Golden Globe Awards on Sunday in a Gucci gown, flaunting the ever-sparkling smile, many hearts pounded.
The 38-year-old actress, who is on a high note these days with her new film, Live By Night, also rued the fact that only a small percentage of women work on sets as actresses, directors and crew members.
Also Read: Feminist Moments At The 2017 Golden Globes
The ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ star said she feels ‘lonely’ as a woman when she walks into a set, finding a very less number of females working with the crew.
Zoe also said that there are only a few women directors she has worked with in her career. “I feel lonely on set. And it’s not just that you’re the only woman in the cast. There are very few women on the crew. You hardly ever get to work with a female director,” Zoe claims, as reported by TOI.
She added, “Some female producers try to blend in with their male colleagues and won’t stand up to them. You’re completely outnumbered. And you take a hit in your paycheck as a woman too. I’m so tired of it.”
Well, that’s a hard truth coming out from a famous star. In the past six years, Zoe has successfully achieved a place for has er in the mainstream with films like Avatar, Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Trek.
Here are some quick facts about the fierce actress:
- The married mom of two-year-old twins Bowie and Cy and wife of Marco Perego, Zoe almost quit acting after working on Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl! following a bad experience.
She told The Hollywood Reporter, “It was very elitist. I almost quit the business. I was 23 years old, and I was like, ‘F— this!’ I am never putting myself in this situation again. People disrespecting me because they look at my number on a call sheet and they think I’m not important. F— you.”
- She is the co-founder of a fashion website. When Zoe was in a relationship with actor Keith Britton, they both decided to launch a website together. The site is called My Fashion Database: check it out www.MyFDB.com.
Zoe told Woman’s Health UK, “I’m exactly where I want to be. I do feel beautiful in a way that even when I was working out a whole lot, I sometimes didn’t. Because there have been times that I was really slender and I didn’t like that I sometimes looked a little too muscular and flat chested – you’ll never be completely happy, so at the end of the day it’s like F**k it. Just be happy, regardless.”
- She wants to be perfect for each role she signs. After months of training in the Chinese martial art of Wushu and in archery for her role in Avatar, Zoe finally captured the essence of the role.
- Zoe’s new stint? She told Marie Claire, “I would love to play Nefertiti or Cleopatra or the Queen of Sheba. We preserve more male history than we do female. We have to preserve it. No more complaining. We have to do it.”
- She was the first cover girl for Cosmopolitan for Latina for the May 2012 issue!
Zoe is set to star in the thriller ‘I Kill Giants’, which is expected to be released in theatres later this year, and then in Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2, Avengers: Infinity Wars and Avatar 2. We wish the best of luck!
Feature Image Credit: Clutchmagonline.com
Join Us on https://www.facebook.com/SheThePeoplePage
Follow Us on https://twitter.com/SheThePeopleTV