YouTuber Lilly Singh Appointed As UNICEF’s Global Goodwill Ambassador
UNICEF has appointed Indian-origin Canadian YouTube star Lilly Singh as its newest Global Goodwill Ambassador at a special event in New Delhi.
She was in Delhi to back UNICEF’s Youth4Change initiative, a programme for youth that brings them on a single platform to support their peers and communities in taking action on pertinent issues such as health, hygiene, child labour and gender equality.
“I’m honoured to join UNICEF as a Goodwill Ambassador and to use my voice to support its mission of reaching every child. It’s time to stand for what your kids want and not society,” Lilly told HT.
Lily has around 11.9 million subscribers on the video sharing website. She is planning to use her channel to showcase the organisation’s work and urge millions of her followers to work for children’s rights.
Besides this, she would also come up with a few videos in Hindi and try to put Hindi subtitles in her English videos to increase the reach of her vlogs and channel.
She has also posted a vlog to share a glimpse of her first few days in India during her UNICEF trip.
The 28-year-old star has kicked off a new initiative on social media -#GirlLove- to bring an end to girl-on-girl hate.
I’m honoured to join UNICEF as a Goodwill Ambassador and to use my voice to support its mission of reaching every child. It’s time to stand for what your kids want and not society – Lilly
Read more about her:
- Lilly Singh was born on 26 September, 1988.
- She is a Canadian YouTube personality, vlogger, comedian, writer and actress.
- She started her YouTube channel in October 2010 and her videos have received over 2 billion views, and her channel has accumulated over 11.9 million subscribers.
- In 2016, she was ranked 3rd on the Forbes list of the world’s highest paid YouTube stars earning a reported $7.5 million in 2016.
- She ranked 1st on 2017 Forbes Top Influencers List in entertainment category.