Michelle Pips Clinton, Trump In Popularity Poll
Michelle Obama took another dig at Donald Trump in a speech at a rally in Phoenix, Arizona, yesterday. She said that decent men do not ‘demean’ women. She said Trump is offering a vision that is ‘grounded in hopelessness and despair’, and urged voters to pick Hillary Clinton as their President.
A poll conducted by The Wall Street Journal, and NBC News found that Michelle Obama is more popular than her husband, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, and both the Democratic and Republican parties. She is one of the most liked figures in American public life, and is liked by nearly 60 per cent of America’s population.
There has been an outpouring on Twitter, with fans begging her to run for US President, even though she has repeatedly asserted that she has no intention of doing so.
Here are some posts from the Twitterati
Here are some reasons why people love her:
1. Twitter exploded after Michelle gave a speech in New Hampshire that many are calling a defining moment in the Presidential campaign. “I can’t believe I am saying that a candidate for president of the United States has actually bragged about sexually assaulting women,” she said. “And I have to tell you that I can’t stop thinking about this. It has shaken me to my core in a way that I couldn’t have predicted,” the First Lady said.
2. She also vigorously supports education for girls, as part of her her ‘Let Girls Learn’ initiative, and says that she will continue advocating for girls’ education even after she leaves office.
3. Her saying ‘When they go low, we go high’ has become a motto for Hillary Clinton and her followers. Her speeches are often peppered with inspirational and motivational quotes.
4. Her speech at the Democratic National Convention won many hearts, as she spoke about stories from her own life, and urged the American people to pick a President who would be a good role model for their children.
5. She is lauded as a great mother and wife, and is appreciated for her elegant sense of style. Prominent feminists like Gloria Steinem, Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie, and Rashida Jones have publicly thanked her for her service to the country, her grace, strength and confidence.
Michelle Obama is much loved in America and throughout the world. Even though she insists that she will not run for President, there’s no harm in hoping she does!