Google celebrates Nargis’ 86th Birthday
Here’s why Google chose to celebrate Nargis on her 86th birthday.
1. She was the first film actress to be accorded with the Padma Shri title by the Government of India
2. The actor known for her classic roles in films such as Mother India, Awara among other Hindi blockbusters.
3. Her role in Mother India won her critical acclaim and the film was India’s first submission to the Academy Awards in the Best Foreign Film category in 1958
4. Nargis was also nominated to the Rajya Sabha in 1980. However, she was diagnosed with cancer and died during her tenure.
5. The award for best feature film on national intergation in the National Awards is titled the ‘Nargis Dutt Award’ in her honour.
Born Fatima Rashid but known by her screen name, Nargis was an actress in Hindi cinema. She made her screen debut as a child in Talash-E-Haq in 1935, but her acting career began in 1942 with Tamanna. During a career from the 1940s to the 1960s, Nargis appeared in numerous commercially successful as well as critically appreciated films, many of which featured her alongside actor and filmmaker Raj Kapoor.
One of her best-known roles was that of Radha in the Academy Award-nominated Mother India (1957), a performance that won her Best Actress trophy at the Filmfare Awards. In 1958, Nargis married her Mother India co-star, actor Sunil Dutt, and left the film industry. She is the mother of actor Sanjay Dutt, MP Priya Dutt and Namrata Dutt.