Samajwadi Party’s Dimple Yadav: Things to Know
At a time that all eyes are on the Samajwadi Party’s first family and the drama unfolding in an election year for UP, we take a closer look at Dimple Yadav — the MP from Kannauj, who is married to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Married into a family of politicians, Dimple Yadav didn’t take too long to get in the race too. Daughter of an army officer, Dimple grew up in various cities within India, namely Bhatinda, Pune, Lucknow, Andaman and Nicobar. Known for her adapting nature, Dimple took well to politics too.
- Dimple and Akhilesh met in Lucknow when she was still completing her humanities degree from the University of Lucknow in the 1990s. In 1999, they were married.
- Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has been very open about his love for his wife, where he has even been quoted saying, “shaadi hote hi kismat khul gayi“
- The wedding was a grand affair with the ceremony taking place in Lucknow and celebrities like Amitabh Bachchan, Rajesh Khanna, and top politicians came to give their blessings
- She is known to be a voracious reader and a talented painter
- Dimple has always openly backed her husband Akhilesh Yadav’s tenure as CM, saying that he works for the betterment of his people.
‘Before he was a trainee, now he is an experienced CM’
- In 2009, she was hand-picked to contest the Lok Sabha by election for Firozabad, but was beaten by Raj Babbar, an ex-Samajwadi Party member.
“The youth is with the chief minister. The state is progressing and people have noticed what the Samajwadi Party has done in the last four-and-a-half years.”
Dimple now represents the Kannauj constituency as a Member of the Indian Parliament. On many occasions, Dimple has stated that everyone in the family plan campaigns together, and she gives inputs as and when required.
Feature Image Courtesy: Pradesh18