6 ways Jio may help cut your company’s tech costs
The September 1st launch announcement of Reliance Jio on Thursday was greeted with the same kind of awe that techies usually give new Apple products. As Mukesh Ambani, chairman of Reliance Industries Ltd, announced the package for his company’s 4G service during the group’s Annual General Meeting, thousands of people around the country stayed glued to their TV screens for very good reasons. Because Jio offers unbelievable data rates, makes voice calls free, eliminates national roaming and is completely free till 31 December this year.
Is there a catch? What’s the fine print? What will happen after 31 December? Will other telecom companies, such as Airtel, Vodafone and Idea, decide to jump into a price war? These are questions that can only be answered over time. Meanwhile, the Jio package as it was announced makes it an excellent service for people who use tech to grow their companies. Here’s why.
- Data packs from Jio start from 5 paise per MB – meaning Rs 50 for 1 GB. That’s the lowest rate in India at present.
- Voice calls are completely free. According to ‘The Indian Express’, when Ambani launched Jio, he said that a tariff must be charged for either voice or data – and decided that all voice calls would be free and unlimited.
- National roaming for the unlimited voice calls will also be free, Ambani said, according to Medianama.com
- ‘The Economic Times’ reports that the Jio app will be free for all active customers till 31 December 2017. The app will allow streaming of movies, music and live TV.
- All tariff plans except for the entry level package of Rs 149 for 28 days will allow free unlimited 4G data use between 2 and 5 am, says Gadgets360.com.
- The company also plans to create one million WiFi hotspots across the country with an additional 30,000 at schools and colleges, says Medianama.com. However, Ambani did not say if the hotspots will be free to use.
Feature image credit: blog.advaoptical.com