Presidential candidate Donald Trump has been in the news extensively these days, for obvious reasons, of course. And also because of his callous and insensitive remarks towards women and minority groups. While we are busy discussing facts and figures of Donald, we also ought to know some facts about our potential First Lady, Melania Trump.
– Melania is actually an immigrant herself. She was born in Yugoslavia (now Slovenia) and grew up during the rule of Marshal Joseph Tito who supported the communists. A state that was completely opposite of the United States, as you can imagine.
– She became a naturalized citizen in 2006 and speaks five languages – Slovenian, English, French, Serbian and German.
– Her birth name was Melanija Knavs which she changed to Melania Knauss (a Germanised name) when she started her modelling career
– Her modelling career started when she was 16, and took off rapidly once she signed with an agency in Milan. She went on to work with famous high-fashion photographers and got featured in magazines like Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Sports Illustrated, Vanity Fair and New York Magazine.
– Her website’s biography says that she is a graduate in design and architecture from a university in Slovenia.
– She met Donald Trump at a party thrown by the owner of a modelling agency and even though Donald came with a date, he tried to get Melania’s number, which she refused to give.
– Bill and Hillary Clinton were guests of Donald and Melania at their wedding that took place in Palm Beach, Florida.
– At her wedding, Melania wore a $100,000 Dior dress which had 1,500 crystals, and had taken 550 hours to make. The dress had a 13 ft train and the veil measured 16 ft. She of course changed into Vera Wang hand-ruched silk tulle Grecian dress for the after-party.
– In 2010, Melania launched her own jewellery collection called Melania Timepieces & Jewellery that got sold out in 445 minutes.
– Donald Trump has admitted in his interview that Melania and his daughter Ivanka have asked him to ‘Act Presidential’ on several occasions.
-Some of her public speeches have reportedly been plagiarised.
Feature Image Courtesy: Cosmopolitan