10 Healthy Reasons To Eat Pumpkins (Oh yeah)
When you think of pumpkins does it remind you of Cinderella’s carriage? Or Halloween? Or maybe of pumpkin ice latte from Starbucks? Well many things come to our mind when we think of pumpkins, but we hardly think of eating them. Perhaps many of us are unaware of its benefits. Not to miss that pumpkin flowers are also edible and delish and the seeds are wonder food. So I dug around a little to find out how can pumpkin benefit our health.
1) You will sleep better: Pumpkins have amino acids that gets converted into serotonin the “feel good hormone” which will help you settle down and relax.
2) Weight loss: pumpkins will help you shed of those extra kilos because eating pumpkins increases satiation which slows down the digestion process making you feel fuller for a long time.
3) Say hello to healthy heart: Pumpkins are rich in fiber content, and various research show that increased intake of fiber is good for the heart. In fact a study published in jamanetwork.com shows the research done on 67000 women over a 10 year span shows that a diet high in fiber intake reduces heart disease.
4) It increases the prostrate health: Consumption of pumpkin seeds have shown to prevent prostate cancer. As various tests have shown that cancerous prostate has very low levels of zinc compared to normal prostrate glad, so which in turn shows that zinc is a very important component for prostrate health which is found in a very good amount in pumpkins.
5) It will make you active: Pumpkins have very good amount of magnesium. This mineral is important as it aids many physiological functions like creation of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) the energy molecule. It also helps in muscle growth and regulating bowel movement.
6) Will help you fight cancer: Pumpkin is very rich source of beta-carotene, our body then converts it into vitamin A, a powerful antioxidant that helps you fend of cancer. It also boosts the immune system and keeps our reproductive system healthy.
7) It will help you have a good eyesight: As discussed pumpkin is a rich source of vitamin A, which will aid in the integrity of your vision, especially in dull lighting.
8) It will make you have healthy muscles and active reflexes: Absence of potassium leads to fatigue, muscle weakness and inactive reflexes, but consumption of pumpkins gives you sufficient amount of potassium to keep all the problems at pay.
9) Helps you maintain the blood pressure: Consuming potassium is as important as reducing sodium intake for treatment of blood pressure.
10) Good for expecting mothers: Pumpkin is a rich source of iron, which promotes the fertility of the reproductive system. Vitamin A is also very important during pregnancy and lactation for hormone synthesis.